Learner Support Fund
Springwood High School offers a discretionary source of financial help to all registered full time Academy students.
What is the Learner Support Fund?
The Learner Support Fund is a discretionary source of financial help available to all registered full time Academy students. The aim of the Fund is to help students who have difficulties in paying for:
- Trips and visits that are linked to the curriculum.
- Materials or equipment required for their academic studies.
- Expenses to attend seminars, interviews or work experience placements
- Music lessons
Payments from the Fund are discretionary and if awarded do not need to be repaid.
The Academy will consider requests for Learner Support funding from the following groups of students:
- students living alone outside the family home
- students in receipt of free school meals
- students in families with very low incomes
- students with disabilities
- students who are or have been in care
- Students whose parents are experiencing temporary financial hardship which has led to a temporary reduction in income.
Your children MAY be eligible for assistance from our Learner Support Fund fund if:
- You are in receipt of child benefit for the children
- You are receiving one of the following three benefits to support your income:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
- Child Tax Credit
- Working tax credit
- You are receiving one of the following three benefits as your ONLY source of income:
- Widowed Mother’s Allowance
- Incapacity Benefit
- State Pension Credit
- You are experiencing a reduced income as a result of temporary financial hardship such as illness or caring for a relative.
Proof of Benefit is required. Proof must be in letter form and supplied with your application:
- Proof of benefit must have been issued within the last six months
- Proof must show the family address given
- Proof must be included with the application
- Bank Statements, incapacity, housing and council tax benefit are not valid proof.
Letters of Proof of Benefits can be obtained from:
- Inland Revenue Child Benefit Office 0845 302 1444
- Inland Revenue Tax Credits 0845 300 3900
- Jobcentre Plus 0845 604 3719
- Migrant Helpline 020 8774 0002
Assistance is now offered based on household income and the number of people in the household.
By applying Equivalisation to the household income, this gives a fairer award that takes into account the number of family members in each household alongside the household income.
How to apply to the Learner Support Fund
An application should be made to the Headteacher. The application will remain confidential and will be considered by the Headteacher in consultation with the student’s Pastoral Manager, given their knowledge of the student’s circumstances.
If approved by the Headteacher, the application will be passed to the finance department for processing.
Please note: The Headteachers decision is final and parents/students cannot appeal against the decision made.
For a copy of the Learning Support Fund Application Form please download the relevant form below: