English Language and Literature
I really enjoy the range of texts available and applying the linguistic and generic knowledge I’ve acquired to my own writing.”
The aim of the syllabus is to encourage the enjoyment of English through varied texts and tasks, including some creative approaches to coursework.
You will enjoy this course if you are enthusiastic about reading and interpreting texts, and if you like a more forensic study of how texts are constructed linguistically. Additionally, this course will suit you if you have a passion for writing your own texts.
English Language and Literature is a course that builds strong analysis, writing and communication skills, as well as the ability to debate ideas, and is therefore an excellent addition to any combination of subjects. Journalism, law, publishing, PR and marketing are just a few of the many careers which depend on English.
A minimum of grade 4 in Maths and English Lang plus at least 3 other GCSEs at grade 5
Subject Specific Requirements
A minimum of grade 5 in English Language and grade 5 in English Literature
1. Component 1: Voices in Speech and Writing (40% Written examination)
● Voices in Speech and Writing: An Anthology
● one drama text from a prescribed list.
2. Component 2: Varieties in Language and Literature (40% Written examination)
● a wide range of non-fiction texts on a chosen theme, in preparation for responding to an unseen text
● two literary texts from a chosen theme; one compulsory prose fiction text
(anchor text) from a choice of two and one other literary text.
3. Non-examination assessment: Investigating and Creating Texts (20% Non-examined unit)
● a chosen topic (free choice)
● two written pieces relating to the chosen topic; one fiction and one non-fiction.
The course will lead you into a career in PR, journalism, publishing, creative and media careers, advertising, broadcasting, or communications. You could use the skills developed to help write press releases or speeches.
Aimee: Broadcasting and Multimedia Journalism at UEA
Amelia: Film Production at Exeter
Tate: English and Drama at Exeter